Monday, May 10, 2010

Monday Morning Report

We are at the nexus of the athletic calendar with the winter sports selecting their champions in the playoffs and the spring sports getting into the meat of their schedule. It is important to remember that we are only weeks away from the start of the World Cup in South Africa.
The way that LeBron James played in game 3 and the Cavaliers sounding defeat of the Celtics told everyone that the elbow may hurt but it won't slow him down. This series will probably still go to seven games as the teams are so well matched. Among the other winners this weekend are the Suns who finally got the monkey off their back in beating San Antonio. I love their style of play, but I have a hard time seeing them winning a championship due to their lack of size.
I want to congratulate Bradley Wiggins and Tyler Farrar for winning stages in the Giro d'Italia. I must also point out that stage two was filled with the most crashes I can remember for a grand tour stage. I just hope that this has not affected the final standing with two weeks of racing left. I want to congratulate the Dutch cycling fans for showing up on the sides of the roads in numbers far greater than most flat stages.
The worst news of the weekend is that Tiger Woods hurt his back. I can only assume that at best he will be back in a few weeks after some rest. If he has surgery I doubt he will be seen on a golf course till the end of the summer. This would be really bad for golf since television ratings double when he plays and sponsorships are hard to get and keep in this post recessionary period. The quality of the competition will only be slightly weaker without him since there are still many great golfers on tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment