Saturday, July 1, 2023

2023 Tour de France Preview: My Predictions

 This article will make predictions on winners of the competitions. Please don't hold it against me if I get it wrong.

Green Jersey

Last years winner: Wout Van Aert

My prediction: Mads Pederson

With the number of flat stages not being particularly high and the hilly first two stages, I decided to go with a sprinter who can climb moderate grades to earn points on non-flat stages. I could have considered previous winners who have those capabilities like Peter Sagan and Wout Van Aert. Van Aert has stated that his focus is not on the green jersey, and Sagan has not been on a mountain stage raid to get green jersey points for several years. Therefore I ruled them out. Mads has the ability to handle the slightly uphill terrain of the rolling stages much better than the other sprinters who tend to be more pure sprinters.

 

Polka Dot Jersey (best climber):

Last years winner: Jonas Vingegaard

My prediction: Thibaut Pinot

Thibaut Pinot is a good climber who is in his swansong Tour de France. He is my sentimental favorite, but he also just won the climbers jersey at the Vuelta.

 

 White Jersey(Best Young Rider):

 Last years winner: Jonas Vingegaard

My prediction: Tadej Pogacar

I expect Pogacar to be the runner up again this year to Jonas Vingegaard, and he is still under the age requirement. He will win this jersey by default.

Yellow Jersey:

Last years  winner: Jonas Vingegaard

My Prediction: Jonas Vingegaard

Jumbo Visma just has the better team I believe to help the defending champion. It won't be easy, but he has all the different types of lieutenants to make a successful defense, but they may well wish that they could take Primoz Roglic who just won the Giro d'Italia and played a crucial role on the Col de Glannon stage last year. Roglic also provides an alternate GC favorite who can play cat and mouse and force other teams to waste energy chasing him down. Additionally he is talented enough by himself to win the decisive stages.

No comments:

Post a Comment